Thrift Yo Self: Vol. 1

Hello thrifters, cheapskates and awesome people! It's time to unite. It's time to bond over stories of treasures found, hand sanitizer and that time someone stole something out of your shopping cart. It's time for us to gather together and wax poetic about our thrift scores. Or at least show off what we've found.

It's no secret that thrifting is one of my favorite things to do. I hit up the Goodwills and the Salvation Army's and the many cavernous thrift shops that cover Dallas at least twice a week in search of cheap wares. Thrifting is my therapy. Give me a vintage tee shirt, a silk maxi shirt, or a weird piece of art and I'm in my happy place. I know lots of you love the thrill of the thrift, the gleeful feeling when you excavate the one perfect thing you've been hunting for from the depths of a rack.

I've been marinating over this idea for awhile now, and finally decided to get off my butt and do something about it. If you guys enjoy it and find it useful and fun, I'd love to make it into a weekly thing. Feel free to share your favorite finds, tips and tricks, past scores, favorite places to go, etc. There's no format to this link-up and no rules. Because rules are for fools.

So let's give this a shot.


1970's suede hat. Thrifted at The Purple Thrift Store, McKinney TX. $6

I am not much of a hat person. Mostly because my hair is short, and when I wear a hat I feel like my head shrinks down to Beetlejuice proportions. But I couldn't resist this bad boy. It's very Johnny Depp meets Dave Navarro with a dash of 70's honky tonk.


Sterling silver turquoise pendant. Thrifted at Plano Thrift, Plano TX. $4

I like turquoise. I like pendants. This is both. No brainer.


1963 Royal Typewriter w/ case and manual. Thrifted at The Purple Thrift Store, McKinney TX. $15

I have a thing for vintage typewriters. They harken back to a simpler time, before the internet and cell phones and laptops and The Jersey Shore. Before you go thinking I simply pulled this off a shelf, let me assure you that that's not how things went down. No, I snatched this thing off a display like a legitimate crazy thrift-lady, thankyouverymuch.

Me: "Hi, is this typewriter for sale?"

(Slightly terrified-looking employee): "Yes."

::Me, yanking baby blue perfection from display.

STLE: "We have more office supplies in the back."

Me, scampering towards the register with this typewriter: "NO I"M GOOD weeeeeeeeeeeee!"

End scene.





(If you're reading this in Google reader, the code to link button might not be showing up. I do not know why this is. I am kind of a dunce when it comes to coding stuff. Click on over to my blog to see the full post.)



3 comments:

  1. Haha... I love this about the typewriter. I am always on the lookout for one but, alas haven't found one YET! I did find an awesome 'grandma' crochet throw in fun Fall colors. I washed it all up and will take a picture and join tomorrow! How FUN!!!!! I love the idea. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elissa, a few weeks ago, I spilled juice all over my everyday shoulder bag (ruined!) so I HAD to buy myself a new bag. I went to DSW, Marshalls, and TJMaxx, and everything was $70 plus (and plastic)!! I thought to myself, "Savers is right down the street" (New England's version of Value Village), so I thought I'd try it.

    I immediately found a cool messenger bag woven entirely from car seatbelts! (Reminiscent of Korto's seatbelt coat from Season 3 of Project Runway.) It was unpriced, so I took it to the cashier, who checked with a manager, who asked me $9.99 for it. Done!

    When I got home, I looked up the brand name on line (Harvey's Seatbeltbags) and found their website. The same messenger bag is currently on sale new for $134 plus shipping!! Yay Savers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE typewriters. They're just so pleasing to the eye and make any space look great. I went to overpriced pawn shops and vintage shops to look for some and ended up buying a $35 seen here > http://www.spoolish.com/the-view-from-here-my-vintage-treasures/
    Then I went to an auction where there were four beautiful typewriters displayed and no one wanted them! They all sold for less than $5. I wanted to cry. Anyway, you've found a beautiful one there, hopefully you'll put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.