Thrifting 101: A road trip to Bon Ton Vintage

During my two years living in the north Dallas suburbs, I've managed to visit every thrift and vintage store in the area. I've been to the big ones - the Salvation Army's and the Goodwill's - and the smaller, independent stores, with their volunteer staff and odd hours. I've seen high-end designer pieces that made me swoon, and shabby, threadbare, smelly things that required a lot of care and attention. My little thrift jaunts around the city are often the highlight of my week.

This past weekend I decided to venture beyond Dallas and visit a vintage store out in the middle of nowhere - Forreston, Texas, to be exact. Forreston is the sort of dusty little place that barely qualifies as a town. Lacking a stop light, gas station or any definable main street, it's the sort of place you drive through to get to where you really want to go. And yet, it was exactly where I was meant to be.

Bon Ton Vintage is housed in an imposing brick building which stands alone alongside a desolate stretch of road. It's the last place you'd expect to see. And truly wondrous to explore.


If you ever find yourself in Texas, you MUST take a drive out to Forreston and visit Bon Ton. Barbara Kaufman, the owner, is as lovely and personable as her shop is, and I enjoyed talking with her as much as I did wandering through Bon Ton. Prices were also extremely affordable - I bought an immaculate 1950's cream lace suit, python clutch, and sleeveless blouse for less than $100.

Bon Ton is an easy stop between Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin or Waxahachie, just off Highway 35E.


6 comments:

  1. I only live about an hour from Forreston. I'll have to check this place out. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks like an amazing shop and your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I'm in Houston and I wanna go so bad! This looks perfect. Bah too bad I rarely make it out to Dallas..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots! Love the collection of old labels. Might have to try something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! Love the collection of vintage labels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place looks fantastic, great shots! Love the vintage label collection!

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.