{Almost daily outfit of the day} What I wore to my book signing 4.30.12


Thrifted vintage silk dress; thrifted vintage purse; thrifted Bruno Magli heels; Forever 21 & Neiman Marcus bracelets; thrifted Michael Kors watch

There is an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie Bradshaw travels across the country to appear at a signing of her book. She is terrified that the event will not be well-attended, and that she'll be greeted with an empty room instead of an audience of fans eager to meet her. Of course, this doesn't happen. A packed crowd of women sits hangs on her every word as she reads a chapter, and lines up in droves for her to sign their copies.

My own book signing wasn't nearly the raving success Carrie's was. Instead of a packed house, I met with a mere handful of people - some who bought my book, but most of whom wandered around aimlessly before leaving. But you know what? I really didn't care. I got to live out a dream, where I was featured at my favorite store in Dallas with a book I actually wrote. I got to sit at a table with copies of my book prominently displayed. I got to meet with people who came out purposely to meet me, including a reader who traveled 30 minutes just to purchase a copy (wave to Jamie!) And I got to wear a gorgeous 1940's silk dress that I thrifted for $8.

Life doesn't get any better than that.






9 comments:

  1. If I had all the money in the world, I would have flown from Ohio to Dallas just to attend your signing:) I am certain it was a smashing success. Many congratulations on your book my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Jen's comment, and if you ever get the hankering to take on an east coast book tour I'm so there! (We have a lot of thrift stores in Connecticut - you'd love it! Just sayin'.) The event sounds like a dream, and I'm so excited for you to be living it out. I went to my first book signing a few weeks ago, a combination meet-and-greet and discussion platform with three bestselling historical romance writers. They were fabulous and I loved the event, but it was definitely packed (it was in one author's hometown as well). It was terrific fun to meet them and two of them remembered me via social media afterward, but given the throng and the numerous other stops on their tour it's imaginable that they won't remember everyone they meet for very long. It made me realize that if I'm ever lucky enough to "live the dream" I'd want to embrace the personal meetings and intimate crowds because they just might be more fun than a massive turnout.

    And you looked gorgeous, as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there! But I love that you are living your dream! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad it went well! I wish I could have stopped by, but my husband and I have been sick, and we had quarantined ourselves! That dress is amazing, you looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could've made the drive up, especially to see you in that lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been many years ago...that I had book signings and similar nerves about it. At one signing in Missoula, MT, a name author (Richard Ford--now a Pulitzer Prize winner) showed up and I stammered to meet him. It was a sign to me that I wasn't ready for the big leagues! I wish you every success with this book and wish that you really could do a nationwide tour selling the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just awesome and you looked amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats friend. This is amazing! And yes, that episode is one of my faves. : )

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.