{Almost daily outfit of the day} Catechism 4.16.12


Forever 21 denim jacket; Vintage thrifted Neiman Marcus silk blouse; vintage thrifted skirt; vintage thrifted python clutch; Jessica Simpson kitten heels; Forever 21 bracelets

This is my I Don't Know What To Wear To Church So I Wore Black outfit. Dressing for church is complicated. Not as complicated as trying to understand Middle Eastern politics or why ABC canceled My So-Called Life after one season but complicated nonetheless. When Sunday comes, I struggle between making appropriate, if somewhat bland, sartorial choices, or sticking to my more fashionable, often tattoo-revealing uniform. It's not easy.

I felt like this outfit was a decent compromise. I was covered up and respectful, but still felt like me.




Do you struggle between dressing "appropriately," and dressing like yourself?


7 comments:

  1. YES! Especially for church! I grew up going every Sunday and every Sunday I was expected to and did wear, literally, my Sunday best! Now everything is so casual, but now I want to dress up for church. So I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Business" attire is the hardest for me. My soul craves flowy cotton, faded denim, and grass beneath my bare feet, so sitting indoors wearing tight black polyester just feels wrong to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! "Appropriate," would look way more casual than I like to dress (I'm a stay at home mom). So I usually just internally acknowledge that I'm overdressed for what it is that I'm doing, but then I go ahead and dress in a way that makes me happy anyway . . . even if it doesn't make sense to other people. xo, I love your blog! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dressing for church can be a minefield in part because there are so many unwritten rules. In the last church I attended regularly, women often wore saccharine florals and almost never bared their arms. One Sunday, the pastor waited until the sanctuary was filled and then publicly invited a teenage girl to leave because of the short skirt she was wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Church used to be a lot trickier. We happen to find ourselves in a church with jeans in one pew, and fancy dresses in another. So I'm usually somewhere in the middle - just where you are in this post actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Church used to be a lot trickier. We happen to find ourselves in a church with jeans in one pew, and fancy dresses in another. So I'm usually somewhere in the middle - just where you are in this post actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Church used to be a lot trickier. We happen to find ourselves in a church with jeans in one pew, and fancy dresses in another. So I'm usually somewhere in the middle - just where you are in this post actually :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.