{Almost daily outfit of the day} Triumph of the dowdy 3.28.12


Thrifted silk blouse; thrifted chiffon skirt; Steve Madden pumps; thrifted vintage python clutch; Forever 21 & Neiman Marcus bracelets

Friends, there is a fine line between looking modest and mature, and appearing dowdy. When I first put this ensemble together I was thinking more "Enchanting, Whimsically Youthful Fashion Blogger in A Polka Dot Skirt" than "Matronly Retired Accountant Who Eats Lean Cuisines In Her Basement Apartment While Listening To NPR And Lamenting Her Youth." I think my sensible pumps pushed me towards the latter. Before you know it I'll be watching old episodes of Matlock while stirring Metamucil into my instant coffee and yelling at neighborhood kids to get off my lawn.

Snarking aside, I have to admit I felt pretty in this silk blouse and drawstring skirt, and received a few compliments from random strangers. So you win, dowdy outfit. You win.





5 comments:

  1. Ha! Clutch and bracelets rescue you from dowdyhood. Would love to see this with some crazy shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see why you think this looks a bit frumpy, but it's totally frumpy in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the length of the skirt bring it up above the knee and you got a winner........the blouse just needs to go its to baggy (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and current if you tailor the skirt to be two inches shorter and thinner, like a pencil skirt. Add a statement necklace and you have a fantastic thrifty outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty as-is and I love the yellow combined with the navy. I think some darts or tucks to shape the blouse would make it even better. Sometimes those little tweaks make a big difference

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.