Almost daily outfit: Country strong 9/2/11

Vintage thrifted Wrangler shirt; Joe's cropped jeans (eBay); Lucky Brand wedges; Buffalo Exchange bag; vintage thrifted belt; Forever 21 and Charming Charlie bracelets; Marc Jacobs watch


I thrifted this generously ruffled 1980's western shirt a few months back. Then I saw my arch nemesis Gwyneth Paltrow in Country Strong on HBO. These two incidents, I believe, are deeply connected.  First of all, I kind of have a secret fetish for western wear. A pair of worn out Wranglers, a oversized silver belt buckle, and a dusty pair of cowboy boots enrapture me. This shirt led to daydreams of racing horses around barrels and sipping beer out of the bottle in some honky-tonk saloon while Willie Nelson croons softly on the jukebox.

My friend Gwyneth has loftier fantasies, I'm sure. Country Strong had enough melodrama and full-volume diva-esque histrionics to blow even Burlesque out of the water. Paltrow plays a booze and pills burned-out country singer on the edge of collapse. Her performance largely consists of screeching, weeping until the eyeliner runs in rivets down her perfect face, and stumbling around in a drunken manner. But there's a lot to like about this movie. The very best scenes involve watching princessy Paltrow in hysterics, rolling around on the floor, grabbing for a bottle of booze and being mean to Leighton Meester (who's got enough of a case of mean-face herself to make you think she deserves it.) It's almost as crazy as watching Mindy McCready on Celebrity Rehab.

So I dedicate this vintage Wrangler shirt to you, Ms. Paltrow.  It might not have be included in your epic country tear-fest, but it was there in spirit. Minus the dripping eyeliner, of course.







In case you missed it:
  • Enter my giveaway to win a $25 gift card from Marshalls/TJ Maxx!
  • Like this post? PLEASE take a minute and vote for me in the CBS DFW Most Valuable Blogger Awards! I'm a finalist!


7 comments:

  1. I loved the necklaces she wore in the movie. Would love to have them. Your outfit looks great. I love that purse!
    I just bought some Old Gringo boots. I have always wanted a nice pair of cowboy boots that had lots of embroidery on them. I finally got them and told my husband they were my early 60th birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG You are adorable!! Seriously, my favorite outfit yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've met Gwyneth a couple of times and she's absolutely delightful...as is your shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a soft spot for western wear as well
    i do believe that shirt you are wearing must have been in the Reba collection from her earlier days lol
    have a great weekend
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really cute and fun outfit! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that outfit! You look so happy =]

    xoxo,
    daisy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outfit! I love the western look too. I have a few pairs of old gringo boots and they go great with everything!

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.