Visual Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Hand, hand, fingers, thumb (manicures!)

This week, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday has taken a visual turn and is focusing on manicures. Nail art has exploded in popularity, so much so that the New York Times included a feature on the trend back in June (which is worth checking out.) Though I don't possess artfully decorated nails, I thought it would be fun to participate.


I am a dunce at polishing my nails. There, I said it. The act of applying polish makes me break out in hives because no matter how hard I concentrate, my polish always smudges and ends up on my clothes/bathroom sink and dripped on the floor. AND, on the extremely rare occasions I have the dexterity and patience to create a decent-looking manicure, inevitably it chips and I'm left with hands that look like they belong on a five year-old who applied her own polish in the dark.

So I have acrylics. My propensity for Jersey girl nails lies on the fact that they always look great, resist chipping, and make my hands look like they belong on a grown-up. I turned to acrylics largely because my nails are extremely weak and I could never grow them beyond a few centimeters without splitting and peeling. That, combined with my failures at home manicures, made acrylics appealing.

I realize that acrylic nails are cheesy and suburban and really, really bad for my nails. I get that. But truthfully, I love how they look, and I can worry about one thing less in my beauty routine. I keep them short and slightly square, and I can go up to three weeks before needing a fill. They might mark me as a resident of suburgatory, but I love 'em.

As usual, I’d love to hear your on this topic in the comments! Fashion Beauty Friend Friday was created by Katy Rose of Modly Chic. Become a member at the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group to join in the discussion!


8 comments:

  1. I love'em too! I don't have them because I can't afford them all the time. I did manage to grow mine out a little and have them painted RED!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am awful at doing my own nails. LIke to the point where people will comment that they're a mess! So I have them done for me. I've been doing gel manicures, which hold up 10 days to two weeks on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up with your acrylic nail justification. but I get it- I can't paint my own nails for the life of me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ain't no shame in acrylics. My mom has bad arthritis in her fingers, so she started getting acrylics so she wouldn't have to do her own manicures or go as often. She gets them super short, so it's really like having a tough cover for her own nailbeds.

    My solution is just to keep my nails super short all the time. Any time I try to go longer, they split off the minute I hit the garden or the laundry. Whatcha gonna do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the gel nails by CND and really liked how they looked. I did not like the polish removal which involves soaking your fingers in acetone polish remover. I ended up getting an infection in my finger and decided I had had enough. Now my nails are just natural. I love the look of polished nails, but I I just too rough on my hands for regular polish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Ok at home manicures, but i just cant seem to get my nails to grow, or as soon as i do, they break or split, i think i am just not dainty enough, to have pretty nails, so instead i try to keep them tidy and clean. I have also tried CND(shellacs) love the way they look when they are on, but was also horrified how they took them off, and they have weakend my nails considerably, so i guess i will just have to deal with the fact that i wasnt meant to have pretty nail :-) well they say you cant have everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also very bad.. and a nail biter, sad to say. Maybe I should try acrylics, they may help me with some of these issues and yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stay away from nail salons due to the chemical smells. I stopped painting my nails at home because of the damage the polish remover was causing. Now I'm au natural and they're looking much healthier.

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.