Jake came down with both an ear and sinus infection this week and had to miss his second-to-last day of school before summer break, and his class party. For a seven year old, this is a tragedy along the lines of finding out Santa isn't real (shhh, don't tell him.) After his doctor's appointment I ran him over to Chick-Fil-A for a chicken sandwich, waffle fries and ice cream cone, a cure I find more effective than any antibiotic.
Once he recovered, I spent my last two days of child-free bliss doing what I do best: thrifting.
This week I returned to Ahab Bowen, one of my favorite vintage shops in Dallas. The store is located in the oldest house in Dallas, a charming little jewel box with a wrap-around porch and little rooms crammed with summer dresses, crinolines, vintage bathing suits and pillbox hats. If you're ever in Dallas, and love shopping for vintage, this place is a must see.
Continuing my vintage hunting, on Thursday I went to my first estate sale. I've been to a million garage sales before, but never an estate sale. I was intimidated by the thought of haggling with the owners, of poking around someone else's house and riffling through their belongings. But I got over it. This sale was a goldmine.
|1940's Oshkosh vintage suitcase|
|1950's - 1960's vintage hats. That top hat is entirely encrusted in feathers and covered in netting. Nevermind the fact that I rarely wear hats. Any suggestions for how I can wear these without looking like a fool?|
I also bought old glass medicine and milk bottles, which I collect, and a navy blue vintage lace dress with embroidery along the hem. It's divine.
This week also included swimming - lots of swimming - at our community pool. It's been in the high nineties here all week, and when it gets hot, there's not much else you want to do than go for a swim. And get a tan. Unfortunately, I just get a lot more freckled.
|My legs are not as big as they appear, I promise. Though they are that bruised. Klutz for life.|
Now it's your turn: What are some things that made you smile this week? Grab my button (created by Kate of Divergent Musings - HUGE THANKS to Kate!) and blog about your Sunday smiles; share your weekly smiles in the comments; or smile just because it makes you feels good.
While I'm smiling, here's what went down on Dress With Courage this week:
- I celebrated Memorial day and gave a last chance warning for my Body Shop bronzing giveaway - congrats to Brittney of A Day in the Life Too for winning!
- I discussed the tyranny of the bikini body;
- Explored the difference being inspired by a blogger or magazine, or being a copycat;
- Announced my June giveaway for a TIKKR watch and extra band;
- Continued my Thrifting 101 series with a trip down the fashion timeline through the 1990's in order to help date vintage and thifted clothes by era;
- and answered questions regarding packing for vacation for Fashion Beauty Friend Friday.
- My blogger girl crush Sal featured my post on the tyranny of the bikini body in her June 3rd Lovely Links post. I am so honored to be included! I learn so much from Sal's thoughtful blog - it's a must read.
I'd also like to take a moment and welcome all my new followers.
I'm really, really happy you're here. As always, you make me smile too. If you're visiting my blog for the first time, please think about follow me through Google Friend Connect, tweeting with me on Twitter (I'm hilarious on Twitter, I promise), or becoming a Facebook fan.