Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Summer recipes (from a non-foodie)

This week's Fashion Beauty Friend Friday had the following "assignment:" Share the recipe to your favorite seasonal dish.. the one you love to make and love to eat this time of the year.

I'll be honest - I'm not much of a foodie. I tend to rely on a rotation of ten recipes when I have to cook dinner. I've been making these same recipes since I got married twelve years ago, and I have little desire to experiment and break out a new cookbook. Cooking just isn't my thing. (Shopping, on the other hand, I am quite quite comfortable with.) And I hate cooking in the summer. It's too hot to be standing over the stove and there's nothing more icky than sweating while cooking and all I want to do is prepare a nice simple dinner out of watermelon and bowl of Captain Crunch which I KNOW will destroy the roof of my mouth but I don't care, it's delicious.

Being that I am adult (most of the time) and have four other people in my family to cook for, cereal for dinner just isn't an option.  Though I have been know on occasion to eat it straight out of the box with a glass of milk for dinner while standing in the kitchen perusing fashion magazines. Don't look at me like that. Anyway, come summertime, I crave fruit and vegetables and salads, foods that are seasonal and fresh. Last summer I discovered a simple orzo salad recipe which satisfies both my appetite and need to keep things simple. Best of all, I can prepare it and make enough to last in the fridge for a few days, avoiding the need to cook altogether. And it's great for entertaining.

Roasted Shrimp and Orzo Salad


Ingredients
  • Kosher salt
  • Good olive oil
  • 3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
  • 1 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 small cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
  • 1/2 cup small-diced red onion
  • 3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight.

(If you aren't a fan of shrimp, you can substitute three grilled chicken breasts marinated in lemon juice. Or grilled tofu, if you're vegetarian.)


6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Been looking for a healthy seafood recipe and this looks wonderful. Might have to try it next week :) Happy Friday doll!
    xoxo
    -linh
    http://la-lalinh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, non-foodie friend! My collection of "cookware" is embarrassing. And cereal for dinner is quite common at our house. But your salad (minus the shrimp for me) sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. Feta makes everything good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so delicious! for a non-cooker, this sure looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already know this one is good. For not being much of a foodie you certainly picked a winner! Happy Friday!
    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha love it! I agree it's too hot to cook over a stove and who hasn't taken a gulp straight out of the carton? :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow wow WOW!!! I love shrimps/ prawns and orzo salad!! Can never find orzo salad here in the UK but I am going to be on a mission to find it now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers! Comments are welcomed and appreciated.